2017 Advanced Institute on Disaster Risk Reduction with Systems Approach for Slow-Onset Climate Disasters
<Photos and a short report are now online at the website of the Academia Sinica. >
2017 Advanced Institute on Disaster Risk Reduction with Systems Approach for Slow-Onset Climate Disasters (AI-SOCD) calls for participants from young to mid-career practitioners, researchers and policy makers in Asia and the Pacific region. Participants are encouraged to bring specific issues or research ideas that will be further developed and nurtured based on systems thinking involving multiple disciplines and stakeholders.
The sessions of the AI-SOCD will include lectures by eminent scholars and practitioners in systems approaches and involved disciplines, break-out sessions, hand-on practices, and field visits. The topics to be covered will include:
- Concepts, principles and practices of systems approach and systems thinking tools for climate-related Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) research;
- Cross-sector collaboration with systems approach among scientists from air pollution, sensory technology, and big data analytics;
- Early detection/warning of climate-variability induced air pollution events with multidisciplinary participatory/citizen’s science;
- Hands-on practices of air pollution sensors;
- Comprehension of the air pollution monitoring information from big data and environmental health perspectives.
All participants will be working in groups conceptualizing an individual or collaborative project, that are to be presented in plenary session at the conclusion of the Advanced Institute. A "call-for-proposal" will be announced after this AI-SOCD to support follow-up research activities. The trainees will be invited to submit DRR research proposals followed by a competitive reviewing process.
For further information on this call and how to apply, read the announcement. Interested individuals must submit the following items to International Council for Science Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ICSU ROAP) no later than 8 May 2017.
- On-line application sheet
- Letter of application
- An updated full Curriculum Vitae with publication list
The AI-SOCD is mainly organized by Integrated Research on Disaster Risk International Centre of Excellence, Taipei (IRDR ICoE-Taipei), of the Academia Sinica in Taipei in partnership with ICSU ROAP, and supported by Future Earth, Regional Centre for Future Earth in Asia, International Global Atmospheric Chemistry Project (IGAC), IGAC Monsoon Asia and Oceania Networking Group (MANGO), and Institute for Environment and Development (LESTARI UKM).
DATEApril 24, 2017
AUTHORFuture Earth Staff Member
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK
The 23rd Pacific Science Congress “Science, Technology, and Innovation: Building a Sustainable Future in Asia and the Pacific”
Updated: 2017 Advanced Institute on Disaster Risk Reduction with Systems Approach for Slow-Onset Climate Disasters