Future Earth Vacancy: Science Officer, Regional Center for Future Earth in Asia (Kyoto)
The Regional Center for Future Earth in Asia is seeking a science officer to provide intellectual and coordination support for the development of research, capacity building and collaborative networks in Asia.
Future Earth is a major international programme of research and innovation for global sustainability. It provides international facilitation of research around the greatest challenges facing humanity – and engages policy-makers, businesses and the public in the solutions to these challenges. Our work stretches from climate change and biodiversity to urbanization and transformation of societies. The Future Earth Secretariat is distributed across five hubs and a number of regional centers.
The science officer will:
- Connect the work of the Regional Center for Future Earth in Asia with RIHN research projects and programs;
- Support the development and continuity of Future Earth research networks in Asia;
- Support the work of the Regional Committee for Future Earth in Asia;
- Contribute to the development of capacity building initiatives;
- Liaise with other parts of the Future Earth organization in Asia and globally;
The position is based at Future Earth Regional Center for Asia at the Research Institute for Humanity and Nature (RIHN), Kyoto, Japan. The science officer reports to the Executive Director of the Regional Center. Employment is for a period up to 5 years and is subject to the relevant regulations at RIHN. Depending on the candidate’s achievements and experience, the appointment will be as a specially appointed assistant professor or a specially appointed associate professor.
For more information about this position and how to apply, see the full announcement (pdf).
- A Ph.D. in a discipline relevant to global environmental change and sustainability;
- Understanding of global environmental change and sustainability issues;
- integrated systems thinking on socio-environmental interactions and sustainable solutions;
- Experience in research networking in Asia;
- The ability to function in a team and collaborate through online networks;
- The ability to operate in English. (Japanese language ability would be an advantage.)
From the soonest possible date after November 1, 2018
Deadline for application
October 15, 2018 (Monday), 12am JST (Japan Standard Time) for receipt
a) Regarding application materials,
Personnel Subsection, Research and Collaboration Section
Administrative Office, Research Institute for Humanity and Nature
b) Regarding job description/role,
Hein Mallee, Director of the RIHN Center,
Research Institute for Humanity and Nature
DATEAugust 22, 2018
AUTHORFuture Earth Staff Member
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK
7th International Forum on Sustainable Future in Asia (20 to 21 January)
Launch of the New Reorganized Japan Hub Publicly Announced
Learning theory and practice of TD research virtually