Role of Science for Society – Strategies towards SDGs in Asia: 18th Science Council of Asia Conference
The 18th Conference of the Science Council of Asia (SCA) will be held on 5-7 December 2018 in Tokyo, Japan, around the theme of “Role of Science for Society: Strategies towards SDGs in Asia”. The Conference will examine specific issues in Asia relating to the globally agreed Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and explore directions to contribute to the realization of the SDGs with national and regional perspectives.
Prof. Leena Shrivastava, Co-Chair of the Future Earth Advisory Committee, is invited as a Keynote speaker of the plenary session and the Future Earth community in Asia will join forces to organize a special session on “Future Earth in Asia: Regional and National Perspectives”. The Session will disucss multi-national and international collaboration and coordination for SDGs-relevant researches, based upon national and regional activities of Future Earth in Asia, including the Future Earth Knowledge Action Networks and the Global Research Projects. Roles of the Science Council of Asia and other related international organizations such as the recently created International Science Council (ISC) on this issue will also be discussed.
The Science Council of Asia is an international scientific organization founded in 2000 by Asian science academies and other national scientific organizations. SCA aims to provide scientists in all fields, including cultural and social as well as natural sciences and technology, a collaborative platform for promoting scientific exchange and cooperation in Asia, and to develop and promote a holistic vision focusing on sustainable development and improvement in quality of life. At present it is comprised of 31 academic organizations from 18 countries/region in Asia. The host countries for the annual Conferences are rotated among member countries and the 18th Conference will be hosted by the Science Council of Japan.
Details about the 18th Science Council of Asia Conference can be found at the Conference website.
Future Earth session at the 18th Science Council of Asia Conference will take place on 6 December 2018 with the following speakers and panelists and will be convened by Prof. Tetsuzo Yasunari, a member of the Future Earth Advisory Committee and the Director-General of the Research Institute for Humanity and Nature (RIHN), and Prof. Hein Mallee, the Director of the Regional Centre for Future Earth in Asia and the Deputy Director-General of the RIHN:
- Prof. Leena Shrivastava (Co-Chair, Future Earth Advisory Committee)
- Dr. Mazlan Othman (Director, ISC Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific)
- Prof. Mitsuo Uematsu (Member, ISC Regional Committee; Future Earth Ocean KAN; Professor Emeritus, The University of Tokyo)
- Dr. Shin-Chun Candice Lung (Chair, Future Earth Tiwan Commettee; Academia Sinica)
- Prof. Soonchang Yoon (Chair, Future Earth Korea National Committee; Vice-President, Korean Academy of Science and Technology)
- Prof. Chuluun Togtokh (Chair, Future Earth Mongolia National Committee; Professor, Mongolian National University)
- Prof. Lourdes J Cruz (Chair, Future Earth Philippines National Committee; National Academy of Science and Technology of Philippines)
- Prof. Makoto Taniguchi (Future Earth Nexus KAN; Deputy Director-General, RIHN)
- Prof. Kazuhiko Takeuchi (Chair, Future Earth Japan National Committee; Vice Chair, Science Council of Japan; President, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies)
- Dr. Fumiko Kasuga (Future Earth Global Hub Director – Japan; Senior Fellow, National Institute for Environmental Studies; Visiting Professor, The University of Tokyo)
- Dr. Wang Qinxue (National Institute of Environmental Studies)
DATENovember 7, 2018
AUTHORFuture Earth Staff Member
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK
Future Earth in Asia at the 17th Conference of the Science Council of Asia
New initiatives for Future Earth in Asia discussed at Science Council of Asia
Future Earth discussed “Air Pollution and Human Health in Asia” at the 17th Conference of the Science Council of Asia